We wish all our household items to work without any problem. However, if we encounter any problem, we would soon run to a technician or a service person to repair the item. If we face problems with our toilet seat, we would call a plumber and ask for his assistance. Most often, the small problems that are found with our household items can be fixed by us. We should take effort to spend some time for these and we could do small repair works on our own. Thus, we could save a few dollars that will otherwise reach the wallet of the repairperson.
If you find a leaking Kohler toilet flush valve, the problem would most probably be due to the corroded flush valve set. Replacing a toilet seat is not a difficult step and here, the best option would be to get the same replaced. The canister flush valve seat normally is found on the base of the flush valve seal. Leakage normally occurs when the seal and the seat have not fit perfectly. If you verify them up close, you might see the imperfections in sealing that is creating the trouble. The small mistakes in sealing the toilet seat can be fixed easily. There can be mineral deposits in water that could make the seat corrode.
To fix problems with Kohler flush valve, you could avoid replacing a toilet. Instead you could replace the flush valve of Kohler. Let us check the instructions that you need to follow.
- As the initial step, you need to turn off the water supply to the toilet. The next procedure is to flush the toilet so that the remaining water in the tank is removed. Use a sponge or towel and remove the remaining water from the tank.
- The next step is to get the tank disconnected from the bowl. This can be done by unscrewing the tank. Use a wrench that can be adjusted. Now the tank should be detached from the bowl and placed gently on a towel. You will find an old black foam gasket at the bottom of the tank.
- Use pliers to unscrew the flush valves. Use hands to separate the small rubber fill tube that you find on top of the flush valve. Unlike replacing a toilet completely, you can take the flush valve separately out of the tank.
- The fill tube can be unscrewed. With the fill tube, the seal and flush valve canister will be separated.
- Now, the new flush valve can be installed with a new washer and bowl gasket. Reassemble in reverse order.
The above steps will help you to replace Kohler Flush valve without replacing a toilet.
Sean Mckelvey on Google+